Name of Department
Reproductive Toxicology and Histochemistry
- Assessment of reproductive function in occupationally exposed workers.
- To note the cytological changes and biomarkers of exposure.
- To conduct experimental toxicological studies especially on reproductive system.
- To suggest appropriate preventive measures.
- To impart training and/or demonstration for different laboratory techniques.
- To study the reproductive function of male and female, biological markers and semen quality of exposed workers and carry out controlled experimental studies.
- To study oral mucosal and cytogenetic alteration among chewers of areca nut and tobacco
- To look for the feto, geno and reproductive potential of panmasala using experimental system
- To collect and disseminate the information
- To suggest appropriate preventive measures and to impart training
Scientist 'G' &
|Dr. (Ms) Mugdha Tiwari||
|Dr. Gyanendra Singh||
Mr. Y. Verma
Technical Officer 'A'
Mr. A. K. Gautam
Technical Officer 'A'
|Ms.K Chaoba Devi||
|Ms. Sanghpriya Gautam||
Mr. Sagar Dalwadi
The laboratory is manned to carry out human and experimental toxicological studies, semen analysis as well as cytological changes. Air-conditioned room is available for housing cryostat (IEC, USA) and research microscopes. The following equipments are available.
- Cryostat (IEC, USA)
- Microscope with Fluorescence and digital camera (Leica, Germany)
- Advanced Research Microscope (Zenawal, Germany)
- Get Electrophoresis (HE 99X, Amersham Biosciences)
- Semen Quality Analyzer(SQA - || - CP)
- Refrigerated Centrifuge(3 -18 k, Sigma)
- Elisa Reader (microplate Spectrophotometer, Bio-Tek, USA)
- Shaking water bath (Julabo)
- Digital balance (Mettler Toledo, Germany)
- Experimental studies on Geno and Fetotoxicity of Panmasala (DST adhoc Project).
- Load of environmental metals in pregnant women and reproductive outcome (ICMR SRF Project)
- Effects of panmasala on the oral hard and soft tissues (ICMR adhoc Project).
- Evaluation of cytogenetic damage among chewers of areca nut and tobacco.
- A study on health effects of mercury exposure in human among dental professionals and workers exposed to mercury
- Environmental and occupational exposure and reproductive function.
- Studies on phthalate compounds on male reproductive system of rat
- Effect of cypermethrin on reproductive system of mouse.
- Toxicity of metals especially lead on male reproductive system
- Effects of welding on human health with special reference to reproductive and thyroid function.
- Studies on reproductive impairment and micronuclei in the buccal mucosa cells of chromium exposed workers.
- Pan masala induced changes in the testicular tissue and sperm morphology of mouse.
- Experimental studies on endosulfan with reference to reproductive dysfunction.
- Role of areca nut and pan masala chewing in the causation of oral diseases in human.
- Role of environmental chemicals on human male reproductive system
- Kumar,S.: Use of 2-mercaptopropionyl glycine as Radioprotector and chemoprotector-A review. Indian J.Cancer Chemotherapy 9(2) 85-96 (1987).
- Zinyu,R., Kumar,S. and Dutta,L.P.: Studies on Cancer of the Nasopharynx in Nagaland,India. In Proc. Of the XVI World Congress of Otorinolaryngology, Head & Neck surgery eds. T. Sacristan,J.J. Alvarezvicent, J. Bartual F. Antoli-Candella et.al. Kugler & Ghedini Publications, Amesterdam,Barkeley,Milano pp. 1279-1281, 1990.
- Kumar,S. & Dutta,L.P. : Dietary Risk factors. Current Sciences 61: 495-496 (1991).
- Kumar,S.,Zinyu,R. Chetia M. and Dutta,L.P. : Genotoxic effect of smoke dried meat extract in Swiss albino mice using sperm head shape abnormality test. Cancer Letter 64: 51-53 (1992).
- Kumar,S.;Studies on Toxic effects of Radiation and anticancer drugs in mammals-An approach for their prevention. (JEB Prize oration lecture) Proc.Acad Environ.Biol. 2(1). 105-114, 1993.
- Wairagkar, NS, Das,J., Kumar,S. et al Codeine containing cough syrup addiction in Assam and Nagaland. Indian J. Psychit.36: 129-132 (1994).
- Kumar,S.,Wairagkar,N.S. Mahanta,J., Satyanarayana,K. Chetia,M., Phukan,R.K. & Goswami,S.K.: Profile of Heroin addicts in Nagaland,India. South East Asian J.Tropical Medicine & Public Health. 27(4) 968-971 (1996).
- Kumar,S., Zinyu,R., Singh I.K.K., Medhi,S.B.,Baruah T Das, B and Dutta,L.P.: Studies on nasopharyngeal carcinoma with reference to the North Eastern Region of India. Annals Natl. Acad. Medical Sciences (India) 32(4) 199-208 (1996).
- Kumar,S.: Optimization of Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy of Cancer by modifiers. In ‘Radiation, Radiomodifiers and Human Health eds. P.Uma Devi et al First edition Publisher NISCOM (CSIR) New Delhi, pp. 78-89 (1997).
- Kumar,S. & Mahanta,J.: Aetiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma- A review. Indian J. Cancer, 35,47-56 (1998)
- Kumar, S., Patel KG, Gautam AK, Agarwal K, Shah, BA, Saiyed HN: Detection of germ cell genotoxic pontential of Carbon disulphide using sperm head shape abnormality test. Human & Experimental Tox. 18,731-734 (1999)
- Kumar S, Zaidi SSA , Dewan A, Saiyed HN : Environmental estrogenic compound and male reproductive health. Indian J Occupation & Environ Med, 3 ,177-180 (1999)
- Kumar S, Verma Y, Gautam AK : Possible use of Allium test in environmental monitoring . Pollution Research, 19 (4) 555-560 (2000)
- Kumar S, Gautam AK, Saiyed HN: Occupational exposure and male reproductive dysfunction: A growing concern. Indian J Occupation & Environ Med, 4(2) 89-95 (2000).
- Gautam AK, Agarwal KR, Shah BA, Kumar S, Saiyed HN: Lead induced spermatoxicity in mouse and MPG treatment. J. Environ Biol. 22 (4) 287-291 ( 2001)
- Kumar S, Wairagkar, NS, Mahanta, J.: Demonstration of Epstein Barr virus in the serum of nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients. Indian J. Cancer, 38 (2001)
- Kumar S, Zaidi SSA, Gautam AK, Dave LM, Saiyed HN: Semen quality and Reproductive hormone among Welders—A preliminary study. . Environ Health & Preventive Medicine (Japan) 8; 64-67 (2003)
- Kumar S, Nigam SK, Shaikh SA , Saiyed HN : Effect of Pan masala ( a Chewing material) on sperm morphology of mouse Bull. Environ Contam. Toxicolol (USA), 70 (6) 1184-1188 (2003)
- Kumar S: Occupational Exposure and reproductive dysfunction. Journal of Occup Health, (Japan) 46 1-19 (2004)
- Kumar S, Gautam AK, Agrawal KR, Shah BA & Saiyad HN: Demonstration of sperm head shape autnormality & clastogenic potential of Cypermethrin. J Environ Biol, 25 187-190(2004).
- Kumar S. Parmar G & Saiyad HN: Nut and tobacoo chewing Brit Dental J. 197,292, (2004).
- Kumar S, Semen Quality and persistent environmental chemicals - current status. Assisted Reprod Tech & Science (Australia). 4, 8-11, (2004)
- Kumar S, Zaidi SSA, Sathwara NG, Gandhi S, Parmar C & Saiyad HN: Devepolement of indifenous local exhaust ventilation system: Reduction of welders exposure to welding fumes. J Occp. Health (japan), 46, 322-328 (2004).
- Kumar S, Sathwara NF, Gautam AK, Agrawal KR, Shah BA, Kulkarni PK, Patel A, Patel KG, Parikh DJ and Saiyad HN: Semen quality of industrial workers exposed to chromium in a chemical industry. J Occupational Health, 47, 424-430 (2005).
- Katiyar S, Hedau S, Jain N, Khuroo MS, Mahanta J, Kumar S, Gopal KV, Kumar N, Das BC: p53 gene mutation and human papilloma virus (HPV) infection in esophageal carcinoma from different endemic geographic regions of india. Cancer Letter, 218, 69-79 (2005)
- Zaidi SSA, Tiwari RR, Gandhi S, Patel KA, Kumar S & Saiyad HN: Neurobehavioral effects and hormones profile among spray painters. Industrial Health (Japan), 44 93-97 (2006)
- Mankad M, Sathwara NG, Doshi H, Saiyad HN & Kumar S: seminal plasma zinc concentration and alpha-gucosidase activity with respect to semen quality. Biol Trace Element Res USA, 110. 97-106, (2006)
- Kumar S, Chaudhury K & Saiyad HN: Occupational Cancer - A south asian perspective UICC chapter pp 96-115, (2006).
- Parmar G, Vashi P, Sagwan P, Kulkarni PK, Kumar S: Tobacco and Areca nut Chewing induces Dental attrition and sensitivity. Int J Dental Anthropology, USA 12, 8-14 (2008)
- Kumar Sunil: Is environmental exposure associated with reproductive health impairments? J Turk German Gynaecol Asso, 9, 60-69 (2008).
- Parmar G, Sagwan P, Vashi P, Kulkarni PK, Kumar S: Effect of Chewing Areca nut,Tobacco on Periodontal tissues and Oral Hygiene Status of consumers. J Oral Science (Japan), 50,57-62 (2008)
- Kumar S & Mankad M: Environmental Chemicals and Reproductive Health, Proc on Recent Advances and Challenges in Reproductive Health Research, ISSRF, Published by ICMR, New Delhi pp 393-416 (2008).
- Kumar S & Verma Y: Endocrine disruptors and reproductive health: a critical assessment. In Perspectives in Animal Ecology and Reproduction. Daya Publication, New Delhi, chapter 25. (2007)
- Kumar S: Role of Environmental chemicals on reproductive health. Embryo talk, 1 (Suppl 1), 22-29. (2006)
- Kumar S & Mankad M: Environmental and occupational exposure to metals and reproduction. In Perspectives in Animal Ecology and Reproductionm Daya Publication. New Delhi. chapter 27 (2007).
- Dr. Sunil Kumar received the Shakuntala Amir Chand Prize (a young Scientist Award for iomedical Scientist) for the year 1984 of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) for significant research contribution in the field of Chemical Radiation Protection.
- Dr. Sunil Kumar received the JEB Prize (Young Scientist Award) of the Academy of Environmental Biology, India for the year 1990 in recognition of outstanding contribution in the field of Chemical Radiation Protection and protection against the toxicity of anticancer drugs at the inaugural function of the 12th Session of the Academy, December 1991 at Rewa, M.P.(India)
- Dr. Sunil Kumar is recognized as Ph.D guide in Life Science by the Gujarat University, Ahmedabad and Amrita Vishwavidyapeetham (Deemed University), Kochi, Kerala in Medical Sciences.
- Ms. Archna Kumari, SRF, DST received the Best PAPER award at national seminar on Teratology & genetic Disorders, BHU, Varanasi in 2008. Paper entitled "Germ cell mutagenic potential of panmasala in male Swiss albino mice".
Ph. D. degree awarded under Supervision of Dr Sunil Kumar
- Dr Girish Parmar, MDS : Role of areca nut and panmasala in the causatin of oral diseases in human. Ph.D. in life sciences, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 2005
- MS. Minal Mankad, M.Sc. Environ Sci: The role of environmental chemicals in human reproduction Ph.D. in life Science, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 2007.
- Dr Asim Saha, MBBS, DIH: A study of determinant in the causation of occupational accidents. Ph. D. in Medical Sciences,Amrita Vishwa Vidhyapeetham University.
Research project with Dr Sunil Kumar as PI or Guide- last 5 years
- ICMR SRF project "Role of Environmental Chemicals in Human male reproduction". Sept 2003-March 2006
- Department of Science and Technology Project on "Experimental studies on geno and feto toxicity of Panmasala" 2005 - cont..
- ICMR SRF Project "Load of Environmental metals in pregnant women and reproductive outcome" May 2006 - cont..
- ICMR Project- "Effects of Panmasala on the oral hard abnd soft tissues" Jan 2008-cont..