Name of Deparment
Microbiology/Genotoxicity Microbiology (Geno-Micro)
- Bioaerosol monitoring of agricultural and industrial environment and its relation to occupational lung diseases.
- To monitor the mutagenic compounds from biological and environmental samples using microbial test systems as exposure indicator.
- Analysis of causative agents of biological and chemical origin..
- To fulfill the above-mentioned objectives by carrying out field as well as laboratory studies.
|Dr. (Ms.) P. A. Vyas||
|Ms. Dharti Parmar||
Mr. M. T. Makwana
|Mr. J. G. Makwana||
Mrs. H. S. Trivedi
Mrs. P. R. Mansuri
Mr. P. M. Khandvi
Basic facilities Microbiology
Balance (Metler), pH meter, Magnetic stirrer with Hot plate(Remi), Cyclomixer (REMI), Incubator &laboratory Oven(Tempo), Laboratory Autoclave( Vertical) (portable as well as stationary) (Yorco), Centrifuge machine (Remi), Water bath shaker (Yorco), Filter assembly ( Miipore), Refrigerator (Godrej).
Laminar flow ( Klenzeid), Bio safe biological safety cabinet (Yorco),
-20° C deep freezer (Remi),-40oC Ultra Low Temp Cabinet ( Cryoscientific) , –85oC Ultra deep freezer( Jouan), Cryocan for Liquid Nitrogen( LN 2)
Instruments for Microbiological study
1. Andersen-6- stage viable sampler
2. Inverted Microscope (Lietz, Germany)
3. MicrotoxTM Toxicity Analyser, Model 2055 (Beckman Instruments Inc., USA)
4. Lyophilizer (Freeze Dryer)
1. Triple Quadrupole LC-MS/MS System (API 3000) Applied Biosystems MDS/Sciex
2. Binary Gradient HPLC System (Shimadzu, Japan) with Rheodyne Injector (CTO-10ASVP), (Liquid pump, LC-10 ATVP, Photo Diode Array Detector (SPD-10 ASVP), Fluorescence Detector (RF-10AXL) and Column Oven
3. Vac Elute (Varian, USA)
4. Ultrasonication Bath (Elma, Germany)
- Cancer in North East India: Understanding the Role of Tobacco (Multi centric ICMR Project).
- Establishment of P3 facilities in the laboratory and to carry out studies related to zoonotic diseases, biodegradation, agricultural dust diseases etc.
- ROLE OF MICROBES IN CAUSATION OF BYSSINOSIS
- OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH PROBLEMS OF TOBACCO HARVESTERS AND ITS PREVENTION
- AEROBIOLOGICAL STUDY IN NON-VIRGINIA, VIRGINIA TOBACCO CULTIVATION AND BEEDI PROCESSING TOBACCO INDUSTRIES
- Effectiveness of polyethylene disposable hand gloves for prevention of "Green Tobacco Sickness among Tobacco Harvesters"
- Aerobiological problems associated with airborne fungal communities among grain handlers with special reference to airborne aflatoxins- Rice mill and maize processing industries
- Studies of biodegradation of crude oil and metal biosorption
- Toxicity screening and exposure assessment using microbes as sensor organisms-Microtox, Motility test and growth zone inhibition
- MONITORING OF PRESENCE OF MUTAGENIC COMPOUNDS FROM SMOKE PARTICULATES OF BIOMASS ENERGY FUELS BY AMES ASSAY
- APPLICATION OF URINARY MUTAGENICITY ASSAY FOR THE POPULATION TO THE EXPOSURE OF MUTAGENIC AND CARCINOGENIC COMPOUNDS
- Occupational Health Problems of Tobacco Harvesters & their Prevention (Sponsored by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India)
- Health Risk Assessment of Rural and Urban Population Due to Indoor and Ambient Air Pollution (Sponsored by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India)
- Study on Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis – Farmer’s lung
- Child Labour: Occupational Health Problems, Evaluation and Control – A Study in Footwear Industry of India (Sponsored by International Labour Organization)
- Health status assessment of the workers engaged in diamond processing industry in Surat District” (Sponsored by Government of Gujarat)
- Analysis of Pesticide Residues from Sugar, Sugar Syrup and Carbonated beverages by LC-MS/MS (National Priority ICMR Project)
- Occupational Health Problems among Workers Dealing with Newspaper Refuse.
- . Doctor, P. B., Bhagia, L.J., Derasari, A. Y., Vyas, J. B., Amin, R. J. and Ghosh, S. K. “A Preliminary Study on Gram negative Bacteria (GNB) and Their Endotoxins ib a Gin House in India J Occup. Environ Hygiene, 3: 707-712, 2006.
- J.R. Parikh, V.N. Gokani, P.B. Doctor, P.K. Kulkarni, and H.N. Saiyed. Acute and Chronic Health Effects due to Green Tobacco Exposure in Agricultural Workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine 47: 494-499, 2005.
- V.N. Gokani, P.B. Doctor, J.R. Parikh, P.K. Kulkarni, and H.N. Saiyed. “Green tobacco sickness among Indian tobacco harvesters and their prevention”. In “Tobacco Control In India”, in “Report on Tobacco Control In India“ In Chapter 4, Health Consequences of Tobacco Use in India, Sub-Chapter 4.8: 115-117, 25th November, 2004, edited by K. Srinath Reddy and Prakash C. Gupta jointly undertaken by HRIDAY, New Delhi & Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai, India and jointly supported by Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India, Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, USA & World Health Organization.
- Doctor, P. B., Gokani, V. N., Kulkarni, P. K., Parikh, J. R. and Saiyed, H. N. Determination of nicotine and cotinine in tobacco harvester’s urine by solid phase extraction and liquid chromatography. J. Chromatography B. Biomedical Application, 802/2 (2004) 323.
- Ghosh, S.K., Bhatnagar, V.K., Doctor, P.B., Shah, M.P., Amin, R.J. and Kulkarni, P.K. Cotinine, thioether and glucuronide excretion among active and passive bidi smokers in India. Arch Environ Health 58 (2003) 368.
- Doctor, P.B. and Ghosh, S.K. Toxicity assessment of textile dye contaminated effluents before and after the treatment. Indian J Environ Protect 21 (2001) 431.
- Ghosh, S.K., Patel, T.S., Doctor, P.B., Kulkarni, P.K., Shah, S.H., Desai, N.M. and Derasari, A. A study on indoor air pollutions: Toxicity screening of suspended particulate matter. Bull Environ Contam toxicol 67 (2001) 149.
- Doctor, P.B., Ghosh, S.K., Derasari, A., Kulkarni, P.K. Microtox response to river water contaminated with azodyes. Asian J Microb Biotechnol Environ Sci 2 (2000) 51.
- Doctor, P.B., Ghosh, S.K., Derasari. A., Kulkarni, P.K. Toxicity screening of azo-dyes using three microbial test systems. Asian J Microb Biotechnol Environ Sci 2 (2000) 57.
- Ghosh, S.K., Doctor, P.B., Patel, T.S., Shah, S.H., Desai, N.M. and Kulkarni, P.K. Indoor air quality- comparative assessment of traditional and improved chula. Proceedings "New Millenium Retrospective of Industrial Research on Environmental Pollution: from 21st Century" November 1999, New Delhi.
- Ghosh, S.K., Gokani, V.N., Doctor, P.B., Parikh, J.R. and Saiyed, H.N. Occupational health problems among Indian tobacco harvesters. Proc WHO Workshop on "Occupational Health in Agricultural Sector" (1998) 36.
- Doctor, P.B., Gokani, V.N., Saiyed, H.N., Ghosh, S.K. and Parik, J.R. Tamakuni Kheti Darmiyan Kheimajdurona S-wasthya par Thati Mathi Assar. Shabdaved, Paryavaran Visheshank, (in Gujarati), published by Information Department, Journalists Welfare Society, Gandhinagar. 3(1) (1998) 354.
- Doctor,P.B., Raiyani,C.V., Verma,Y., Desai,N.M., Kulkarni, P.K., Ruparelia,S.G. and Ghosh,S.K. Physico-chemical and microbial analysis of dye contaminated river water. Indian J Environ Health 40 (1998) 7.
- Ghosh,S.K., Doctor,P.B., Bhatnagar,V.K., Yadav,S., Derasari,A., Kulkarni,P.K. and Kashyap,S.K. Response of three microbial test systems to pesticides. Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 58 (1997) 482.
- Gokani,V.N., Doctor,P.B., Raiyani,C.V., Kulkarni,P.K., Desai,N.M. and Kashyap, S.K. Mutagenic response of smoke particulaates of biomass energy fuels. Indian J Occup Environ Med 1 (1997) 68.
- Gokani, V.N., Raiyani, C.V., Doctor, P.B., Desai, N.M., Nigam, S.K. and Kashyap, S.K. Detection of genotoxic activity in particulate air pollulants. Ind Aerosol Sci Technol Assoc Bull 6(1993) 79.
- Gokani, V.N., Raiyani, C.V., Doctor, P.B., Desai, N.M., Nigam, S.K. and Kashyap, S.K. Detection of genotoxic activity in particulate air pollutants in extended abst book, 4th annual conf of Indian Aerosol Sci Technol Assoc 12 (1992).
- Gokani, V.N., Mohan Rao, N., Doctor, P.B., Ghosh, S.K., Panchal, G.M., Bhatt, H.V., Parikh, J.R., Kashyap, S.K. Bronchoconstriction in cotton dust exposed workers-role of bacterial endotoxins. Indian J Ind Med 39(3) (1993) 79.
- Ghosh, S.K. and Doctor, P.B. Toxicity screening of phenol using microtox. Environ toxicol Water Quality 7 (1992) 157.
- Ghosh, S.K., Gokani, V.N., Doctor, P.B., Parikh, J.R. and Kashyap, S.K. Intervention studies against 'Green Symptoms' among Indian Tobacco harvesters. Arch Environ Health 46 (1991) 316.
- Panchal, G.M., Venkata Krishna Bhatt, H., Vajpayee, S. and Doctor, P.B. Pharmacology of Acorus calamus. Indian J Exp Biol 27 (1989) 561.
- Doctor, P.B., Karnik, A.B. and Bhatt, H.V. Influence of oral lead acetate on serum transmainases and alkaline phosphatase in albino rats. proc Nat Acad Sci India 56(B),I (1986).
- Ghosh, S.K., Gokani, V.N., Parikh, J.R., Doctor, P.B. Kashyap, S.K. and Chatterjee, B.B. Protection against 'Green Symptoms' from tobacco in Indian Harvesters: A preliminary intervention study. Arch Environ Health 42 (1987) 11.
- Ghosh,S.K., Gokani,V.N. and Doctor,P.B. A Preliminary Aerobiological Survey in Non-Virginia Tobacco Fields. Tob Res 13 (1987) 144.
- Gokani,V.N., Doctor,P.B. and Ghosh,S.K. Isolation and Identification of Gram-Negative Bacteria from Raw Baled Cotton and Synthetic Textile Fibers with special reference to Environmental GNB and Endotoxins Concentrations of Textile Mill. Am Ind Hyg Assoc J 48 (1987) 511.
- Ghosh,S.K., Gokani,V.N. and Doctor,P.B. Studies on the Gram-negative Bacteria and Endotoxin in an Indian Textile Mill and in Textile Fibers. Am J Ind Med 12 (1987) 783.
- Bhattacharya, S.K., Ghosh, S.K., Gokani, V.N., Tripathi, S.R. and Doctor, P.B. Psychological changes in female subjects exposed to tobacco dust. Indian J Exp Biol 24 (1986) 174.
- Ghosh, S.K., Parikh, J.R., Gokani, V.N., Rao, M.N. and Doctor, P.B. Occupationalhealth problems among tobacco processing workers: A preliminary study. Arch Environ Health 40 (1985) 318.
- Doctor Pankaj,B. and Bhatt,H.V.K. Biochemical effects of Hexachlorocyclohexane (Lindane) in albino rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 14 (1983) 27.
- Bhatt, H.V., Doctor,P.B. and Karnik,A.B. Effect of oral lead on serum transaminases and alkaline phosphatase in albino rats. Indian J Physiol pharmacol 26 (1982) 61.
- Studies on occupational health problems in agricultural tobacco workers. J. Soc. Occup. Med. 29, 113-117 (1980).
- Occupational health problems among the tobacco workers during agricultural operation. Tob. Res. 6 (1) : 39-49 (1980).
- Studies on occupational health problems during agricultural operation of Indian tobacco workers. A preliminary survey report. J.O.M., 21: 45-47 (1979).
- A comparative study on the different methods of nicotine estimation Pesticides. 13 (7): 56-58, (1979).
NIOH Annual Reports
- Isolation of proteolytic enzymes positive microbes from Indian cotton fibres and textile mill atmosphere. – Isolation of gram positive Bacilli and fungi. Annual Report, N.I.O.H. pp.82-95 (1977-78)
- Role of microbes in causation of byssinosis – GNB in “A” grade cotton and synthetic textile mill and varieties of cotton and synthetic fibres. Annual Report, N.I.O.H. pp.1-15 (1982-83)
- Role of microbes in the causation of byssinosis : Endotoxin levels in respirable dust samples from “A” grade cotton mill. Annual Report, N.I.O.H. pp.72-77 (1983-84)
- Role of microbes in the causation of byssinosis – GNB and endotoxins in “C” grade cotton mill, bales and processed raw cotton fibres. Annual Report, N.I.O.H. pp.F1-F14 (1984-85)
- Role of microbes in the causation of byssinosis – Quantitative assessment of GNB by Anederson “6” stage viable sampler from “C” grade cotton textile mill. Annual Report, N.I.O.H. pp.74-79 (1985-86)
- Role of microbes in causation of byssinosis – evaluation of intervention programme. Annual Report, N.I.O.H., pp.122-128 (1986-87)
- Microbial test systems for genotoxicity studies – Genetic endpoints cellular toxicity, gene conversion and reverse mutation in log phase cells of D7 strain with CCl4. Annual Report, NIOH, pp. 130-135, (1992-93).
- Detection of genotoxicity activity in particulate matter of indoor air samples. Annual Report, NIOH, pp. 136-142, (1992-93).
- Detection of mutagenic activity in particulate air pollutants of indoor built up of biomass energy fuels – Frame - shift mutagens by Ames assay. Annual Report, NIOH, pp. 93-99, (1993-94).
- Detection of mutagenic activity in particulate air pollutants of indoor built up of biomass energy fuels – Base-pair mutagens by Ames assay. Annual Report, NIOH, pp. 83-89, (1994-95)
- Microbial test systems for genotoxicity studies –Application of urinary mutagenicity assay for exposure assessment of genotoxic compounds- Frame - shift mutagens by Ames assay. Annual Report, NIOH, pp. 9-10 (1996-97).
- Occupational health problems among workers dealing with newspaper refuse, Annual Report, NIOH, p. 22, 1998-99, p. 30, 2002-2003
- Occupational health problems of tobacco harvesters and their prevention, Annual Report, NIOH, p. 7, 1999-2000, p. 13, 2000-2001, p. 23, 2001-2002, p. 6, 2002-2003.
- Toxicity and exposure assessment through microbial screening, Annual Report, NIOH, p. 25, 1999-2000. p. 21, 2000-2001
- Health risk assessment of rural and urban population due to indoor and ambient air pollution”. Ann. Rep. NIOH, 2003-2004, 2004-2005
- Report on “Occupational Health Problems of Tobacco Harvesters and their Prevention” (Sponsored by Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India).
- WHO sponsored Awareness programme for Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs) on Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene on 29th December, 1998
- WHO sponsored Training Course for Primary Health centers (PHCs) Medical Officers on Occupational Health in Agricultural Sector and Rural Industries from 4-8 January, 1999
- Organized World Health Organization (WHO) sponsored workshop on “Formulating an action plan for occupational health in India, based on regional strategy” on 6th & 7th May 2004 and prepared a report on:
A. Formulating a Plan of Action for Occupational Health in India
B. National Profile on Occupational Health (update)
Booklet in Gujarati
- Rasayano same Khatro tatha Salamati na Upayo -Dangers of Chemicals and Suggestions for Safety: pp 1-19, December,1998 prepared by J. R. Parikh, V. N. Gokani, P. B. Doctor, A. B. Patel, D.N.Gandhi and H. N. Saiyed.
- Proc. WHO Workshop on "Occupational Health Problems in Agricultural Sector": pp 1-176, August, 1998 edited by J. R. Parikh, V. N. Gokani, P. B. Doctor, D.N.Gandhi and H. N. Saiyed.