Name of the Department
Department of Bio-Statistics
- Participate in Planning of the projects, Provide Statistical analysis and interpretation of the data collected under various projects, Participate in Report writing and give Statistical guidance to the Scientist, as and when required.
- Planning of the projects: In project planning involved in determination of the sample size, selection of the exposed and control population, preparation of the project protocol and proforma, pre-testing of the proforma in the field work.
- Data collection: Research Assistant/Statistical Assistant of the department often assist in data collection to the Principal investigator of the project.
- Creation of Data Base: The data collected under various projects are needed to be entered in computer so as to create an appropriate database, suitable for further analysis and tabulation, in future. The department is extending all possible expertise in this direction.
- Analysis and Interpretation of the data: The data are mostly stored in EPI Info or in SPSS data files. Other software packages like Micro-soft Excel, Access- 2000 are also used and when required. Based on the objectives of the projects and need, the analysis of the data is carried out and interpreted appropriately.
- Application of various Statistical tests and methods: Considering the nature of the data and the need, appropriate statistical tests and methods are applied to draw meaningful inferences.
- Report Writing: The Senior Statistician involved in the project, take active part in finalization of the report and recommendations.
- Statistical guidance: Appropriate Statistical guidance is provided to all the Scientists of the various departments of the Institute. Besides, the department provides the expert guidance to the Medical and Dental college P.G. Students and Ph.D. students from the University.
- Expert comments on the projects/papers: Various Project Proposals submitted to other scientific agencies and Research Papers submitted to journals are received for expert comments and evaluations.
- Functioning on various Committees: The Senior Statisticians are the members of various committees particularly related to selection and provision of computers, facilities like LAN, Yearly annual maintenance Contract and Computer training to the Staff.
- Participation in various Training Programmes: The department actively takes part in various ongoing Training programmes.
- Other Activities: Staff are involved in giving lectures in Seminar-club of the Institute, attending and presenting papers in conferences.
|Dr. S .D. Mishra||
Mr. A. R. Patel
|Mr. A. J. Malhotra||
|Mr. B. K. Rajan||
|Ms. S. L. Solanki||
Department is having a separate computer Cell and there are four computers attach to it. Two of which belong to Pentium I type, one to Pentium II and one as NT Workstation. All the computers are linked to each other as well as to other computers of the Institute by LAN. Statistical softwares like SPSS, EPI Info versions like EPI5, EPI6 and EPI Info-2000 are available
- Biological markers of manganese exposure and effect in manganese miners.
- Occupational Health problems of tobacco harvesters and their preventions.
- The effect of lead in children and adolescent development and puberty (Indo- Us collaborative project)
- Prevention, control and treatment of Silicosis in Agate Workers of Khambhat, Gujarat.
- Silicosis and Silico-tuberculosis among Quartz grinders.
- Maximum respiratory flow volume (MEFV) evaluation in cotton textile workers having symptoms of byssinosis.
- Hazardous processes and Chemicals: Database Generation, Documentation and information dissemination.
- Evaluation of Occupational Health Problems of Cycle Rickshaw Puller and Re-design of Cycle Rickshaw on Ergonomic Principles.
- Occupational Health Problems among workers dealing with Newspaper Refuse.
- Health survey of Industrial workers of Industrial Estates of Ahmedabad.
Indo US Collaborative Programme : “The effects of Lead in children and adolescent development and puberty” at Ahmedabad and Kolkata.
- Misra, K.N. and Ramnath, T. : Some Observations on Fecundity from the Desert regions of Rajasthan. J Fam Welfare 46(2) (2000) 51.
- Ramnath, T. : Environmental Health Study Planning. A course manual, W.H.O. sponsored MoEF-NIOH Training Workshop on Environmental Epidemiology (29 to 2nd November, 2001). National Institute of Occupational Health (ICMR), (2001) 65.
- Ramnath, T. and Misra, K.N. : On Digital Preferences in Retrospective Surveys. Statistical Methods and Application in Biology and Medicine. Edited by Subbakrishna, D.K. and Kaliaperumal, V.G.. National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore (2001) 155.
- Dam, P.K., Ramnath, T., Yadav, S.P. and Tyagi, B.K. : Use of Ethnomedicinal Practices in Thar Desert, North Western India. J Econ Taxon Bot 24(2) (2000) 303.
- Yadav, S.P., Tyagi, B.K. and Ramnath, T. : Knowledge, Attitude and Practice towards Malaria in Rural Community of the Epidemic-prone Thar Desert, North-Western, India. J Comn Dis. 31(2) (1999) 127.
- Misra, K.N. and Ramnath, T. : Some Fertility Parameters from the Desert regions of Rajasthan. J Fam Welfare 4(2) (1998) 42.
- Ramnath, T. : Health facilities, nutritional problems and breast feeding pattern in two desert districts of Rajasthan (Invited presentation). Proceedings of Nutrition Society of India 45 (1998) 166.
- Ramnath, T. and Mathur, M.L. : An approach to evaluate a possible bias in Indian well-to-do standard weight values and its implications for interpretations of survey results. J Trop Pediatr 42 ( 1996) 376.
- Tyagi, B.K., Ramnath, T. and Sahi, A. K. : Evaluation of repellency effect of Tegitus minuta (family composited) against the vector mosquitoes Anopheles stephensi liston, Culex quinquefaciatus say and Aedes aegypti (L). Int Pest Control (U.K.) 39 (1997) 184.
- Ramnath, T., Vijayaraghavan, K. and Pralhad Rao, N. : Nutritional anthropometry – validity of cut-off-points. J Trop Pediatr 39(4) (1993) 200.
- Ramnath, T. and Krishnamachari K.A.V.R. : Anthropometric measurements, Deficiency signs and their relationship under drought conditions. Indan J Mat Child Health 4(2) (1993) 42.
- Ramnath, T., Ganguly, K.K., Mahapatra, A., Sheshpal Yadav and Pandey, R. M. : Dietary Intakes, knowledge of people about diseases and nutritional disorders in two Desert districts of Rajasthan. Ann Arid Zone 32(1) (1993) 59.
- Shashidhar, R.B., Ramkrishna, Y., Ramnath, T. and Bhat, R.V. : Lack of relationship between Sorghum consumption, Mycotoxin contaimnation and Pellagra in a traditionally Sorghum eating population. Trop Geogr Med 43(2) (1992) 165.
- Ramnath, T. : Village population density in desert and its implications on community health and social surveys. Ann Arid Zone 31(2) (1992) 163.
- Satyanarayana, K., Rajpradhan, D., Ramnath, T. and Pralhad Rao, N. : Anaemia and physical fitness of school children of rural Hyderabad. Indian Pediatr, 27 (1990) 715.
- Mathur, M.L., Bansal, R.K., Rajalakshmi, K., Dixit, A.K. and Ramnath, T. : Morbidity pattern of rural population of a typical desert district of Rajasthan. Indian J Prev Soc Med 21 (1990) 41.
- Mohapatra, B., Ramdas Murthy, V., Ramnath, T. and Mohan Ram, M. : Knowledge and functioning of PHC Medical Officers in Nutrition and Related aspects. World Health Forun 9 (1988) 612.
- Pasricha, Swaran, Ramnath, T., and Pralhad Rao, N. : Common Indian snacks and their nutritive value. Indian J Nutr Diet 24 (1987) 8.
- Pasricha, Swaran, Ramnath, T., and Pralhad Rao, N. : The effect of calorie restricted diet on the body weight of obese people – a brief communication. Diabates Bulletein 6(2,3) (1986) 82.
- Shatrugana, V., Ramnath, T. and Raman L. Influence of weight changes in the neonatal period in the prediction of birth weight. J. Trop pediatr 33(4) (1987) 218.
- Pasricha, Swaran, Menon Krishna Kumari and Ramnath, T. : Food consumption pattern in industrial canteens in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Indian J Nutr Diet 24 (1987) 8.
- Pralhad Rao, N., Ramnath, T. and Gowrinath Sastry, J. Diet and nutrition in urban areas. Proc Nutr Soc India 32 (1986) 91.
- Narayana Murthy, P.S., Ramnath, T., Vijayaraghavan, K. and Pralhad Rao, N. : Nutritional Profile of Joint and Nuclear Families in Rural Andhra Pradesh. J Fam Welfare 33 (1986) 80.
- Pasricha, Swaran, Ramnath, T. and Pralhad Rao, N. : Dietetics in Hospitals of India. Indian J Nutr Dietet 22 (1985) 175.
- Pralhad Rao, N., Sastry, J. Gowrinath, Ramnath, T. and Brahmam, G.N.V. : Diet and Nutrition status of urban population. Nutr News, March, 6 (1985).
- Ramnath, T., Parvathi Rau and Pralhad Rao, N. : A pitfall in the estimation of rice consumption through oral questionnaire method of diet survey. Ecol Food Nutr 16 (1985) 351.
- Swaminathan, M.C., Pralhad Rao, N., Sastry, J Gowrinath, Mathur, Y. N., Sharma, K.V.R. and Ramnath, T. : World Food Programme assisted Special Nutrition Programme in India – An Evaluation Study. National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad (1983).
- Ramnath, T., Vijayaraghavan, K. and Swaminathan, M.C. : Cereal millet intake as an indicator of calorie adequacy. Nutr Rep Int 27 (1983) 671.
- Ramnath, T. and Narsinga Rao, B.S. : Balanced diet and percaput requirement of foods (gms/day) at the National level. Recommended dietary intakes for Indians. National Institute of Nutrition (ICMR), Hyderabad. (1981).
- Ramnath, T. : The influence of Maternal education on live births and their relationship. J Fam Welfare 27(1980) 26.
- Pandya C. B., Parikh D. J., Patel T. S., Kulkarni P. K., Sathwara N. G., Shah G. M. and Chatterjee B. B. (1985) : Accumulation and inter- relationship of cadmium and zinc in human kidney cortex, Environmental Research; 36, 81-88.
- Malvankar M. G., Panchal G. M., Bhatt H. V. K., Mohan Rao N. and Kulkarni P. K. (1986) : Peak expiratory flow rate and blood histamine in textile mill workers; J of Society of Occ Med; 36, 107-108.
- Karnik A. B., Parikh J. R., Suthar A. M., Patel M. M., Thakore K. N., Patel H. M., Lakkad B. C.,
- Kulkarni P. K. and Nigam S. K. (1987) : Immunoglobulins, serum proteins and lactate dehydrogenase levels in workers exposed to cotton dust; Indian J of Medical Research; 85, 222-226
- Mohan Rao N., Dave S. K., Saiyed H. N., Kulkarni P. K., Patel B. D., Purohit I. M. and Kashyap S. K. (1988) : Pulmonary ventilatory impairment in dust exposed workers.; Proceedings of the silver jubilee celebrations : National Symposium on Physiology of Human Performance held at Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences, New Delhi, Sep 24 – 26, 1987
- Kulkarni P. K. (1991) : Statistical analysis of IEPHM data ; Book : Toxic metals in the Indian environment, Ed. Krishnamurti C. R., Vishwanathan P., Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co., New Delhi
- Mohan Rao N., Saiyed H. N., Kulkarni P. K., and Kashyap S. K. (1991) :Pulmonary ventilatory capacity in slate-pencil cutters with normal chest radiogram; Indian J of EnvProtection; 11(8), 578-582
- Mohan Rao N., Parikh J. R., Malvankar M. G., Kulkarni P. K., Patel B. D., Chatterjee B. B. and Kashyap S. K. (1991) : Acute and chronic changes in ventilatory lung function in textile workers; Indian J of Env Protection; 11(9), 654-658
- Mohan Rao N., Patel T. S., Raiyani C. V. Kulkarni P. K., Agarwal A. L., Kashyap S. K. and
- Chatterjee S. K. (1991) : A dose response relationship between pollution index and pulmonary function in shopkeepers exposed to autoexhaust; Indian J of Env Protection; 11 (10), 737-740
- Mohan Rao N., Kartha G. P., Patel T. S., Kulkarni P. K., and Kashyap S. K. (1991) : Indoor air pollution and respiratory health – A comparison between women exposed to traditional fuel pollutants with that of modern fuel; Indian J of Env Protection; 11(11), 839 – 842
- Sharma Y. K. , Kulkarni P. K., Shah A. R., Patel M. D. and Kashyap S. K. (1991) : Occupational exposure to inorganic fluorides.; Indian J of Ind Med; 37, 13 – 22
- Mohan Rao N., Kulkarni P. K., and Kashyap S. K. (1991) : Nutritional Factors In The Induction Of Differences In Pulmonary Function Between Women Of Two Different Socio-Economic Strata. Indian J. Nutri. and Dietet. 28, 302
- Mohan Rao N., Kashyap S. K., Kulkarni P. K., Saiyed H. N., Purohit A. K. and Patel B. D. (1992) : Pulmonary function studies in 15 to 18 years age workers exposed to dust in industry.; Indian J of Physio and Pharma; 36(1), 51 – 54
- Mohan Rao N., Malvankar M. G., Kulkarni P. K., and Kashyap S. K (1992) : Pulmonary function studies in Gujarati workers.; Indian J of Physio and Pharma; 36(1), 55 – 59
- Mohan Rao N., Patel T. S., Raiyani C. V., Agarwal A. L. Kulkarni P. K., Chatterjee S. K. and Kashyap S. K. (1992) : Pulmonary function status of shopkeepers of Ahmedabad exposed to automobile exhaust pollutants.; Indian J of Physio and Pharma; 36(1), 60 – 64
- Mohan Rao N., Parikh J. R., Malvankar M. G., Patel B. D., Kulkarni P. K., Chatterjee B. B. and Kashyap S. K. (1992) : Pulmonary function tests in different grades of byssinosis.; Indian J. of Occ. Health; 35(1), 1 – 6
- Mohan Rao N., Kashyap S. K., Saiyed H. N., Kulkarni P. K., Purohit A. K. and Patel B. D.(1992) : Pulmonary function studies in child labourers.; Indian J. of Occ. Health; 35(1), 25 - 29
- Venkaiah K., Kulkarni P. K., Mohan Rao N., Saiyed H. N. and Kashyap S. K. (1992) : Some of the statistical techniques in the evaluation of occupational health problems.; Indian J. of Ind Med; 38, 17 – 22.
- Mohan Rao N., Patel T. S., Kulkarni P. K., Patel B. D. and Kashyap S. K. (1992) : Auto exhaust pollutant exposure and pulmonary function – A comparison between shopkeepers and traffic policemen.; Indian J of Env Protection; 12 (3), 171 – 174.
- Mohan Rao N., Rathod R. A., Chatterjee B. P., Parikh D. J. Kulkarni P. K., Kashyap S. K. and Chatterjee B. B. (1992) : Pulmonary function tests of workers in glass factory .; Indian J. of Ind Med; 38(2), 77 – 79.
- Mohan Rao N.,Kulkarni P. K. and Kashyap S. K. (1992) : Pulmonary function values in industrial workers of Gujarat.; Lung India; 10(1), 10 - 15.
- Mohan Rao N., Patel T. S., Agarwal A. L., Kulkarni P. K., Kashyap S. K. and Chatterjee S. K. (1992) : Effect of exposure to oxides of nitrogen on pulmonary function.; Indian J of Community Med.; 17(3), 93 – 97.
- Mohan Rao N., Patel B. D., Purohit I. M., Kulkarni P. K. and Kashyap S. K. (1993) : Pulmonary function studies in swimmers.; Indian J of Physio. and Allied Science; 47(1), 6 – 13.
- Mohan Rao N., Dave S. K., Saiyed H. N., Kulkarni P. K., Patel B. D. and Kashyap S. K. (1993) : A comparison of airway obstruction between silica and asbestos dust exposed workers; Indian J of Occ Health; 36, 1 – 3.
- Yogendra Verma, S.G.Ruparelia, M.C.Hargan, K.Venkaiah and P.K.Kulkarni (1993): Acute toxicity of azo‑dyes to waterflea, Daphnia magna. IndianJ.Environ.Protec. 13,804-807.
- N. Mohan Rao, P. K. Kulkarni, S. K. Kashyap and S. K. Chatterjee (1993): Pulmonary Function Tests – A Comparison Between Urban Industrial And Rural Agricultural Workers Of Andhra Pradesh. Indian J. of Public Health 37(2), 42-47.
- Ghosh S. K., Doctor P. B., Kulkarni P. K. (1993): Toxicity Screening of dye – contaminated river water using the Microtox system and its impact on microbial population. Sci. Total Environ. 19(suppl. pt. 2), 1211-1216.
- C.V.Raiyani, P. B. Doctor, Yogendra Verma, N. M. Desai, P.K. Kulkarni, S.G.Ruparelia and S.K.Ghosh.(1994): Magnitude of dye cotaminated river water‑ Its physico chemical and microbial analysis. Indian J. Environ. Protec.14, 252‑255.
- S.G.Ruparelia, Yogendra Verma, M.C.Hargan, K.Venkaiah and P.K.Kulkarni (1995): Toxicity of synthetic pyrethroid (Cypermethrin) to chichlid (Sarotherodon mossambicus) and daphnid (Daphnia magna). Indian J. Environ. Protec. 15,415‑419.
- Yogendra Verma, S.G.Ruparelia, M.C.Hargan, K.Venkaiah and P.K.Kulkarni (1995): Toxicity of textile industrial effluents on waterflea (Daphnia magna) and fish (Sarotherodon mossambicus). Indian J.Environ.Protec. 15,906-908.
- Rao Mohan N., Kulkarni P. K. (1995}: Pulmonary Function Evaluation In Subjects Occupationally Exposed To Toxic Dust And Pollutants. Indian J. Of Industrial Medicine. 41(4), 162 -166.
- Gokani V. N., Raiyani C. V., Doctor P. B., Kulkarni P. K., Patel J. S., Desai N. M., Nigam S. K. and Kashyap S. K. (1995) : Genotoxic activity in particulate matter of indoor air samples. Ind. Aerosol. Sc. Technol. Bull. 8(4), 6.1-6.4
- A. Dewan, P. Chattopadhyay, P. K. Kulkarni (1995): N-Acetyltransferase activity – A susceptibility factor in human bladder carcinogenesis. Indian J. of Cancer; 32, 15-19
- Sadhu S. G., Parikh D. J., Sharma Y. K., Saiyed H. N., Rao P. V. C., Kulkarni P. K., and Kashyap S. K. (1995) : A followup study of health status of small scale agate industry workers. Ind. J. Indus. Med. 41, 101
- Yogendra Verma, S.G.Ruparelia, M.C.Hargan and P.K.Kulkarni (1996): Acute toxicity of fenvalerate to fish and daphnia. Acta. Ecologica. 18, 116-120.
Ghosh S. K., Doctor P. B., Kulkarni P. K. (1996): Toxicity of zinc in three microbial test systems. Environ. Toxic. Water Qual. 11, 13-19.
- S. K. Dave, L. J. Bhagia, P. K. Mazumdar, G. C. Patel, P. K. Kulkarni, S. K. Kashyap (1996): The correlation of Chest Radiograph and Pulmonary Function Tests in Asbestos Miners & Millers. Indian J. Chest Dis. Allied Sci. 38, 81-89.
- Parikh J. R., Bhagia L. J., Kulkarni P. K., Majumdar P. K., Shah A. R., and Patel M. D. (1996): Health Status of Ginning Workers’ work Related Symptoms and Acute Changes in Pulmonary Functions. Indian J. Ind. Med.42(3)
- Ghosh S. K., Doctor P. B., Bhatnagar V. K., Kulkarni P. K., Yadav Sitaram, Derasari A., and Kashyap S. K. (1997): Response of pesticide in three microbial test systems. Bull. Env. Contam. Toxic. 58, 482-488
- P.B.Doctor, C.V.Raiyani, Yogendra Verma, N.M.Desai, P.K.Kulkarni, S.G.Ruparelia and S.K.Ghosh (1998): Physico‑chemical and microbiological analysis of dye contaminated river water. Indian J. Environ Health .40, 7-14.
- Rao Mohan N., Kulkarni P. K., and Saiyed H. N. (1998): Evaluation of Lung Function In Subjects Occupationally Exposed To Toxic Dust And Air Pollutants. Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2(1), 13-18.
- S. G. Ruparelia, Yogendra Verma, M. C. Hargan and P. K. Kulkarni (1999):Studies on acute toxicity of dyes to zebra fish, Brachydanio rerio.J. Natcon 11(2); 187-190
- Yogendra Verma, M. C. Hargan, S. G. Ruparelia and P. K. Kulkarni (1999)Toxicity testing of tannery effluents using Duckweed (Lemna Minor) Bio-Assay.Poll Res. 18(4) : 497-500
- SSA Zaidi, VK Bhatnagar, SJ Gandhi, MP Shah, PK kulkarni and HN Saiyed (2000)Assessment of thyroid function in pesticide formulators.Human & Experimental Toxicology : 19, 497-501
- P. B. Doctor, S. K. Ghosh, A. Derasari and P. K. Kulkarni (2000)Microtox Response to River Water Contaminated with Azodyes.Asian Jr. of Microbiol. Biotech. & Env. Sc. Vol.2, No. (1-2) ;51-55
- P. B. Doctor, S. K. Ghosh, A. Derasari and P. K. Kulkarni (2000)Toxicity Screening of Azo-Dyes Using Three Microbial Test Systems.Asian Jr. of Microbiol. Biotech. & Env. Sc. Vol.2, No. (1-2);57-61
- V. K. Bhatnagar, A. B. Karnik, A. M. Suthar, S. S. A. Zaidi, R. Kashyap, M. P. Shah,P. K. Kulkarni, H. N. Saiyed (2002)Biological indices in formulators exposed to a combination of pesticides.Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 68:22-28
Yogendra Verma, M. C. Hargan, S. G. Ruparelia and P. K. Kulkarni (2001) Toxicological evaluation of sodium chloride through growth inhibition test with lemna minor Environment & Ecology 19(4) 888-89.
- Short / Long Term Effects of BHC on Malaria Spraymen in Gujarat State (1977)
- Pneumoconiosis due to Mica Dust Inhalation in the Mica Processing Industries in India (1982)
- Report of the E.S.I.S. Morbidity Data Analysis
- Evaluation of Health Status of Workers Working in Industrial Estates of Ahmedabad. (1997) .
- Health Hazards in and around Silver Foundries in Ahmedabad (1998)
- Integrated Environmental Epidemiology Study in Identified Critically Polluted Areas in the Country : Report on Vapi (Gujarat)