Name of the Department
Department of Biochemistry
- Assessment of health risk in welders with special reference to thyroid function; Intervention by engineering control.
- To study prolactin levels and its correlation with blood content of manganese in manganese miners.
- To impart training and/or demonstration for different laboratory techniques to students.
- Environmental and biological monitoring of metals present in metal fumes and blood of welders, Studies with fume exhaust machine to reduce exposure and promote health of welders.
- Studies on biomarkers of exposure, and effects.
- Analysis of various hormones by Radioimmunoassay (RIA) in human serum/plasma.
- To collect and disseminate the information.
|Mr. P. Upadhyay||
The laboratory is equipped with the following instruments to carry out studies on experimental animals and humans, occupationally exposed to various toxicants. Analysis of hormones by RIA is the most readily available facilities in the department. Air-conditioned room is available for housing various instruments in the department. Following equipments are available.
- Wallac Wizard1470 automatic Gamma counter ( Perkin-Elmer,USA)
- Power FREEZE TM (- 870C, 380 L, John, France)
- Remi K24 refrigerated centrifuge, Beckman)
- Flame Photometer
- Dionex ion chromatograph (dionex IC-2500)
- Studies on spray painters with special reference to thyriod and reproductuve hormone function
- Assessment of health risk among spray painters with special reference to reproductive and endocrine function.
- Collaboration with SAC approved, National and International projects, works on metals toxicity and environmental endocrine disrupters.
- Experimental studies on manganese toxicity; evaluation of bio-markers and therapeutic measures.
- Intervention programme among welders.
- Effects of welding on human health with special reference to thyroid function.
International programs (if any)
- Assisting in INDO-US manganese neurotoxicity project with reference to neuroendocrine function; measurement of catecholamines by radioimmunoassay.
- S.S.A.Zaidi, Bhatnagar,V.K. Spectral evidence for the oxidation of B-hydroxibutyrate to acetoacetate; Dimunition of spectra by glucose and chloride. Ind. J. Biochem. Biophy. 29, 487-489 (1992)
- S.S.A.Zaidi. A simple chemical method for the oxidation of B-hydroxybutyrate. Application of the method for the estimation of the keytone bodies.Ind J.Biochem. Biophy.30, 58-62, (1993).
- Banerjee,B.D., S.S.A.Zaidi and G.Prasad. HCH residues in human milk. Bull.Environ.Contam.Toxicol. 59, 403-406 (1997).
- S.S.A.Zaidi, S.Kumar,L.M.Dave, S.J.Gandhi, K.Agrawal, K.A.Patel & H.N.Saiyed. Thyroid function among welders. Proceedingds of International 7th Nordic Symposium On Trace elements in human health & disease. Helsinki,Finland (1999).p 70
- S.Kumar , S.S.A.Zaidi,A Dewan and H.N. Saiyed. Ind. J. of Occup. Environ.Med.03(4) 177-180 (1999)
- S.S.A.Zaidi , Environmental impact on Health , An overview. Azad Acad. Journal 15 (11) 29- 34 (1999)
- S.S.A.Zaidi,V.K.Bhatnagar,S.J.Gandhi,M.P.Shah,P.K.Kulkarni and H.N.Saiyed; Assessment of thyroid function in pesticide formulators, Human and Experimental Toxocology, 19:1-5 (2000).
- S.S.A.Zaidi, S.Kumar, S.J.Gandhi and H.N.Saiyed. Priliminary studies on Thyroid function in welders. J. Occup. Health 43: 90-91(2001)
- S.S.A.Zaidi Manganese poisoning and its Management- Review Azad Acad. Journal 5: 17-19 2001
- V,K. Bhatnagar, S.S.A.Zaidi. et al. Biological indices in formulators. Bull. Environ Contam. Toxicol. (2002)
- Bhatnagar, V.K., Zaidi, S.S A., Kashyap, R., Karnik, A. B. and Saiyed, H. N. Pesticide residues in formulators and their relevance to certain biological indices. Toxicology International.; 10 (1): 47-50, 2003.
- Kumar, S., Zaidi, S.S.A., Gautam, A.K., Dave, L.M. and Saiyed, H.N. Semen Quality and Reproductive Hormones among Welders- a Preliminary Study. Env..Hlth. and Prev. Med.; 8: 64-67, May 2003.
- Bhatnagar, V.K., Kashyap, Rekha, Zaidi, S.S.A., Kulkarni, P.K. and Saiyed H.N. Levels of DDT, HCH and HCB residues in human blood in Ahmedabad, India. Bulletin Environmental Contamination Toxicology; 72: 261-265, 2004.
- Zaidi Shakeel, Sathwara N, Kumar S, Gandhi S.J, Parmar C and Saiyad H.N Development of indigenous local exhuast ventilation system; reduction of welders exposure to welding fumes. J.Occup.Health(Japan) (2004) 46:323-28
- Zaidi Shakeel, Patel A, Mehta N, Patel k, Takiar R, Saiyad H.N. Early biochemical changes in manganese toxicity; ameliorating effects of magnesium nitrate and vitamins, Industrual Health (2005) vol43(4), 663-668.
- CICAD document 63 Manganese and its compund: Environmental Aspects WHO 2004, 63 pages Book Reviewed. Zaidi SSA, I.J.M.R(2006) 12, 365-367.
- Zaidi Shakeel. A, Tiwari R, Gandhi S, Patel K, KumarS, Saiyad H.N. Neurobehavioural and hormones profile among spray painters. Industrial Health (2006) vol 44 (1). 93-97.
- Zaidi Shakeel A., Shah A.N., Patel M.N., Shah V.V., Dipa R, Shah B.P., Sinha S.N., Gandhi S.J., Saiyad H.N. Multi-organ toxicity byt the unintentional accidental inhalation of paint thinner fumes; a case study. Clinical Toxicity (2007) Vol 45 Issue 3 287-289.
Papers presented in National and International conferences/Symposium
- Zaidi. S.S.A, Kumar S, Dave LM and Saiyad HN, Thyroid Function among welders. In Proceedings of 7th Nordic Symbposium on Trace Elements in Health and Diseases held at Helsiuki, Finland. June 16-19 (1999).
- Studuies on pesticide formulators with reference to thyroid function. S.S.A.Zaidi in:
- Proceedings for Society of toxicology Conference held at palampur H.P. from November 9-10(2000)
- Zaidi S.S.A., Rnarian S.J., Gandhi, Dave RM and Saiyad HN, Prolactin levels in manganese miners, a cross sectional study. In proceedings of 19th international symposium Colorodo, U.S.A. from august 25-27 (2001)
- Zaidi S.S.A, R.Naraian, S.K. Gandhi, K.A.Patel, T. Ramnath and Saiyad HN. Blood manganese and serum prolectin level in manganese miners; a cross-section study to assess prolactin as early indicator of manganese toxicity. Sympoisum on behavironmental Genomices and Health science and XXVII annual conference to be held at ITRC from march 19-21,(2002)
- Zaidi S.S.A, N.G. Sathwara, R Narayan et al serum thyroid hormones and prolactin profile in manganese miners: a cross sectional study 53rd National Conference: Indian Association of Occupational Health, tobe held at Banglore, India from Jan-17-19,2003.
- Zaidi S.S.A, Kumar S, NG Sathwara, SJ Gandhi , CB parmar and HN Saiyad. Engineering control of fumes and gases by indigenously developed local exhaust ventilation system; a prototype model to extract welding fumes at source. National conference on Environmental pollution Prevention and control. Held at A.M.U, alligarh, U.P. from 5th may 2003.
- Sunil kumar, Zaidi S.S.A, A.K. Gautam, KR Agrawal, BA Shah, LM Dave, PK Kulkarni and HN Saiyad. Role of welding exposure in semen quality and reproductive hormones – a pilot study. In: proceedings of National Conference on Recent Advances in Reproductive Health held at University of Rajasthan, jaipur, from Feb-6-8,2003.
- Zaidi S.S.A, NG Sathwara, JB vyas, SJ Gandhi, CB Parmar and HN Saiyad. Development of prototype model of Portable and Mobile Local Exhaust Ventilation system for Capturing welding Fumes. 91st session of Indian Science Congress Association held at Chandigarh India from 3-7, 2004.
- Zaidi S.S.A, Tiwari RR, Gandhi S.J, Patel K.A, Kumar .S.and HN Saiyad. Neurobehavioral Effects and hormones profile among spray painters. In proceedings of International Symposium on Occupational Health in small-scale Enterprises and informal sector. OHSE-2004 held at Nagoya University Japan from 12-14 Nov, 2004.
- Zaidi S.S.A,SJ Gandhi, Patel. K.A. and HN Saiyad studies on levels of thyroid hormones and reproductive hormones among spray painters: In proceedings of 92nd Indian science congress held at NIRMA university, Ahmedabad. Jan 3-7, 2006.
- Zaidi S.S.A,SJ Gandhi, K.A.Patel and HN Saiyad. Levels of serotonin in plasma serum and urine in controla and manganese exposed population; estimation by RIA. In: Proceedings of 93rd Indian science congress held at Acharya Ranga University Hydrabad Jan , 3-7, 2006.
- Zaidi S.S.A, SJ Gandhi K.A.Patel,Tiwari R.R, and HN Saiyad Levels of plasma catechnolamines in manganese miners. In proceedings of 57th Indian Association of Occupational health at channai 4-6 2007.
International Symposium attended
- Presented a scientific paper entitled 'Thyroid function among welders" in the 7th Nordic Symposium on Trace Elements in Health and Disease held from 16th to 19th June, 1999 at Helsinki, FINLAND.
BEST POSTER Award
- Zaidi. S.S.A., S.J. Gandhi, K.A.Patel, Kumar. S and H.N Saiyad. Studies on the levels of reproductive and thyroid hormones in spray painters. In proceeding of 92nd Indian Science Congress held at NIRMA/NIOH Ahmedabad from January 3-7, 2005.